Jollylook is a simple fold out camera for analog photos, made entirely from recycled paper and cardboard. No electronics, batteries or chargers – some paper, a pair of lenses and a cartridge for instant mini photos.
Environment friendly – Jollylook uses less materials than used in the packaging of a regular camera. The camera body, the shutter and aperture are made of thick paper and laminated cardboard. Jollylook is as dangerous to the environment as a banana peal!
On January 31st, 2017 – Jollylook, a Ukrainian team of instant photography enthusiasts, starts a 30-days crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter.com, to bring Jollylook – The First Cardboard Vintage Instant Film Camera to instant photo lovers.
Oleg Khalip, co-founder and author of the idea: “Once I was showing my son what’s inside the analog camera and how analog photography works, I thought then – “what if the package itself transformed and fulfilled the function of the camera and the picture turned out immediately?!”
There was no problem with instant photos technology, people solved this problem long time ago. What remained to create was an analog camera that would be simple and contained in the package, worked properly and allowed to take pictures and get instant results.
I had to study the structure of many analog cameras, before being able to make the shutter – the most difficult part in the development was the shutter (no existing structure worked for Jollylook, so I had to invent a new shutter).
After picking the right lens and calculating the aperture, we created a folding “accordion” camera body from paper, then the case where the instax cartridge is placed, and we moved to the design, here there where no doubts – it had to be retro with a little steampunk look.
Then we had difficulties with the unit for getting the photo out from the cartridge but after testing many options, we achieved a perfect result, photographs are now developed and pulled out with a rotating handle.”
“When moments of life that we see freeze on paper – it is magic!” – says Oleg.
The crowdfunding campaign with a goal of $15 000 will last for 30 days and the first mass produced Jollylook cameras are expected in October 2017.
- Lens – a meniscus lens with a focal length of 110 mm (4.33 in), allows to take photos from portrait to landscape. Can be moved up to shoot through the pinhole.
- Viewfinder – a Fresnel lens
- Aperture – a switchable diaphragm with manual adjustment for the seven values: f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22; f/32; f/45; f/64 + pinhole.
- Shutter – automatic with shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/160 and manual shutter mode with the possibility to control the exposure time manually.
- Pinhole – a round hole in a copper foil 0.6 mm (0.023 in) in diameter, located on the diaphragm disk
- 10 shots per instax mini cartridge (the cartridge can be changed many times)
- Storage conditions – store in a dry and dark place at room temperature.
- Conditions of use – use at temperatures between 10 – 35 °C (50 -95 ℉) in dry weather.
- Size when folded 85 x 127 x 48 mm (311⁄32 x 5 x 157⁄64 in)
- Takes Fujifilm “instax mini” instant film cartridge
- Photo size 46(W) x 62(H) mm